Wednesday 20 February 2008

eligible but ineligible

So the Malaysian parliament was dissolved on 13 February 2008, 15 months earlier than the end of the 5-year term which will end on 16 May 2009. Some speculate that BN was scared of Anwar and didn't want him to contest. He'll only be eligible to contest in April whereas election day is on March 2008. But of course, people can speculate whatever they want. Pak Lah and co will of course deny it, what with the mainstream media in their control, they can say whatever they want.

For the next 2-3 weeks, you'll see a lot of news in the Malaysian mainstream media telling people the 'great' things BN has done for them, the 'excellent' things they're doing now, the 'superb' plans they have for the people in the future etc. This is good if it were all true. And if the opposition side can do the same as well. But no. They have to be one-sided. They don't want a fair fight. Everything they say is the truth and everything the opposition say is a lie.

Just read this news story about poor students who'll receive financial help. Yes, it is very noble of you to do this, but why now? Why not do it last year or the year before?
the symbols below does not necessarily show
which party i'm politically inclined to hehe

What saddens me is that they also resort to negative tactics. Tahun merawat Kelantan? Come on la, why do you need to potray them as a sick state? Is that the only method you could think of to try win over Kelantan voters? Why stoop so low? I'm sure many of those living in Kelantan don't have the same view.

Personally, I think you should change it to Tahun merawat Malaysia. I feel disappointed when reading and watching news on the sad state of affairs in Malaysia. Something needs to be done to improve and elevate the current status of my home country.

I also do not think it was appropriate to compare people with animals. I don't know the full context of the speech, but it's just not right. Especially if you're in the opposition, considering that the mainstream media is controlled by you-know-who. They'll be delighted with this since they can use it to gain political leverage.

Let's move to another sub-topic. I'm sure everyone knows that Pak Lah is the Imam of Islam Hadhari. It was his idea to 'implement' Islam Hadhari in everyday life in Malaysia and anywhere else in the world. But if you're learnt in Islam, you'll know that Islam is a COMPLETE religion. It's supposed to be implemented in our everyday life. We have guidelines for everything; praying, communicating, politics, even sleeping.

You DO NOT need to add a certain word after Islam, for example 'Hadhari', to rebrand Islam, or to show that you're now implementing it. So what were you practicing before this? Just Islam? Too boring for you ey? Islam is supposed to be a religion that suits every period of time. You don't need to change it.

Recently, the World Conference of Al-Azhar Alumni was held in KL. Its objective was 'to assemble personalities and Islamic scholars, as well as those who have succeeded and have influence within the society from the Al-Azhar University Alumni to bring about unity amongst them and the society'. (I got this from their website plus corrected some grammar here and there).

And I seriously doubt the Al-Azhar scholars who met there understood what Islam Hadhari was about when they agreed that Islam Hadhari is suitable as a foundation of a new Islamic civilisation.

I think I should start stepping on the brake pedal now. This post is getting a bit too long. And I can't even vote. So I don't think I have much right to say this and that when I'm not even going to vote.

But in my defence, I'd like to say that I was working when I was in Malaysia last summer and didn't have much time to register. And I didn't even know where and how to do it. But even if I did register, the only way I could vote is through the mail since I'm currently not in Malaysia.

And I am not confident that my vote will go in the ballot box the same as how I wrote/crossed it. Know what I mean? I'm sure you do. Since I'm an EEE student, let me give an analogy. Let's say my vote is an input signal to a filter. The filter will screen out any noisy aspect of the input signal cough opposition cough cough. So the output signal, which is the signal that arrives at the ballot box, is the desired signal that BN wants.

Don't understand? No worries. It's not important.

I have a friend who didn't register as well, but somehow his name is on the SPR list. And apparently his gender is female according to their records. Hmm.. very mysterious.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-government. I really appreciate all the good things that they've done. I'm just anti-corruption, anti-liars and anti-hypocrites. It shows that one is a great liar when on one day, one says the parliament isn't going to be dissolved on a certain date and on the next day, one says otherwise. So do you want your country to be run by liars? I certainly don't.

To those who are voting, I do hope you really think about it long and hard. Make sure you are really informed before making your decision. I personally hope that this certain party will not get a 2/3 majority, for the good of the country.

But that's just me, the guy who's eligible to vote because of his age, but ineligible because he hasn't registered yet. Good luck voting!

15 comments:

  1. "And don't get me wrong. I'm not anti-government. I really appreciate all the good things that they've done. I'm just anti-corruption, anti-liars and anti-hypocrites"

    Dissent is the highest form of patriotismn, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sebelum ni si menantu pernah gelar Tun M, 'kera yang menggoyangkan pokok'. Lepas tu peserta demonstrasi Bersih digelar 'beruk-beruk di jalan raya.'

    Kali ni Tok Guru nak bagitahu tahap ke'orangutanan' mereka tu lagi tinggi daripada kera dan beruk hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wan aimran:
    i am very patriotic. heh.

    matlut:
    true true. tp kalau kita x suka org buat benda tu kt kita, kita x sepatutnya buat kt org lain kan. lainla kalau kita suka sebenarnya. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mat lut:
    kerap sungguh nama pelbagai jenis 'primate' dilontarkan dalam arena politik sejak kebelakangan ini. apakah mungkin tarikannya?

    ke manakah hilangnya keperibadian dan kewarakan kepimpinan negara yang diwar-warkan hampir 3 tahun yang lepas?

    sudah mula terselinapkah topengan yang diperagakan?


    fadhli:
    jika didasarkan dengan pepatah di atas, ya, anda seorang yang patriotik.

    besides, better a sincere dissenter than a blind patriot..

    ReplyDelete
  5. wanaimran:
    Sejak PRU 2004, bila Parlimen kita telah bertukar menjadi 'sarkas'. Diburukkan lagi dengan skandal kehakiman yang menuruntarafkan undang-undang negara menjadi 'undang-undang rimba.' Wah, saling berkait ni, kalau buat cerpen macam menarik...

    fadhli:
    Jangan risau, bukanlah bermakna aku setuju 100% dengan kenyataan 'orang utan' tu. Sebagai seorang yang berpengalaman luas dalam politik. mungkin Tok Guru ada rasional beliau. Aku bersangka baik jerlah...

    ReplyDelete
  6. afai di sini
    oit br aku tau ko tulis blog..
    aku masih katak bwh tempurung..hehe
    ko jd informer lagi laa

    and..makaih..
    kek2 ko!
    apsal time aku dtg tak buat plak???
    eeee ko mmg, da la tak bg tido hahahahaha..ungkit smpi bebile
    so skrg tepakse mkn secret recipe nye hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. wan aimran:
    oh pemimpin2 masih 'warak'. that's islam hadhari for you. and yes, i am patriotik and sincere, and not blind, tp rabun sikit la. ehe.

    matlut:
    tu la. byk sgt isu hangat sbnrnya kt negara tercinta kita ni. kalau nk tulis sume, mau brape muka surat baru habis. and aku x risau pun lut. ehe. we all have the right to have our own opinion. aku takkan hntr ko gi isa la.

    afai:
    bkn ko mmg katak ke. haha. memain je fai. ungkit la ungkit. aku nk ungkit jugak. asal ko xde pun kasik poskad kat aku? ha skrg ko kena jgk kasi poskad dari msia, smbil mkn secret recipe. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. mat lut & fadhli:

    "we all have the right to have our own opinion. aku takkan hntr ko gi isa la."

    remember: if you stand straight, do not fear a crooked shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ni first time aku nk comment :D

    nice write up there fadhli :D mmg berbakat la kwn2 aku ni tulis psl mcm 2 termasukla psl food :P

    nwya keep on writing n insyaALLAH aku pn keep on reading :D

    ps : english ko mmg mantap :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. wan aimran:
    the problem is, we as sponsored students, have so much more to lose if that shadow ever creeps up on us. heh.

    fil:
    thanks2! aku pun sbnrnya x sangka tiba2 byk pulak food dlm hidupku ini. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. true..
    but as malaysians, we have far more to lose if we stay idle.. heh

    ReplyDelete
  12. betul. bole la join gang losers. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. haha i think all of us, as malaysians have been in *that* group for the past 50 years ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  14. no comment...

    even though technically i am commenting. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  15. shhh..
    dun let anyone know about that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please, feel free to comment. Or criticize or laugh at me or laugh with me or complain or argue or cry or agree or disagree or... Ok, you get what I mean. Oh I'd really appreciate it if there's no anonymity. And don't forget, milk is good for your health!